16 July, 2010

Solo for the first time again...

Last night, July 15, 2010, a friend of mine, Shawn Scheller of Save the Radio, had come out to Felonys in Spring Hill to do a few songs and meet the manager in an effort to get me a gig. I ended up playing about an hour's worth of songs broken up into two sets. I played all covers (it's a cover kind of place) but it felt good to get up and play again without the band behind me (or in front of me or next to me or whatever). That's not to say I don't like playing with the band because I love it. I prefer it actually, but it's nice to get up & do your own thing sometimes. I played a bunch of songs that I've played once or twice before, Elton John's "Rocket Man", Foo Fighters "My Hero", Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run", some covers that I've re-worked to make them more my own like "Beds Are Burning" by Midnight Oil & "I Want a New Drug" by Huey Lewis & the News and I even played a few songs that I've never played out before, "Ready For Love" by Bad Company, "Panic Switch" by Silversun Pickups & a re-working of Van Halen's "Jump". Overall I think I got a good response and was told by quite a few people that I was good. One woman told me that she liked my arrangements, especially "I Want a New Drug". One girl who had been singing along when I did my cover of Michael Jackson's "Dirty Diana" upon conclusion of the song said, "good jam". One guy even told me I was awesome. Positive reinforcement is good. Thank you to all of those kind souls.

Well, time to go. I have a show to get to. I'll be with The Woeful Ones tonight at Emerald Bar in St. Petersburg for another show with Barkin' Barney & the Tall Boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment