05 March, 2012

New Band Name

Today is the deadline for the new band to come up with a name. We're closing in on a month until the big debut show and it's time to start building a buzz and what not. You can't build a buzz if you don't even have a name.

Initially I thought we would use the name Fossils for Fuel. I've had it for awhile and have been wanting to use it for a couple different ideas but the others aren't in love with it. Plus, my flaming skull logo scared the drummer. Honestly, I don't think it's right for us myself.

So, I began searching for ideas. I started hitting up Wikipedia and thesaurus.com for ideas. Of all the names I came up with, my favorite by far is Rocket in Super 8. The rocket part should be self-explanatory but in case you don't get it, we're a "rock" band. You know, we're "rockin' it". Super 8, while some may say is a reference to a hotel chain, is actually a reference to old school Super 8 video cameras. So it's kind of retro, kind of sentimental. You know, we're "rockin' it old school", which works because it seems as though we will focus on classic rock in the cover stuff and the original stuff is very blues/psychedelic rock with a touch of Foo Fighters for good measure. Alas, the name is not a hit with the other band members. :(

Another old name idea that had come up in discussions, "Pilot in the Ocean", is a name I came up with a couple years ago. I have no idea where it came from but I liked the sound of it. When I got into steam punk I thought it would be a good name for a steam punk band. Apparently, they like this name. I don't dislike it, but I don't think it fits.

Just for the record, I hate naming bands. I'm not generally very good at it. Our band in high school was called "Eternal Illusion". After high school I put a band together that was going to be called "Next Day Heir" but eventually became "Scream 13". I once thought it would be cool to name a punk band "Courtney Killed Kurt". If we were a bunch of hot young Asian chicks I would want to call the band "Geisharai". Just for the record, that's not what we are.

My head is ready to explode. We need a name. Help. Please.

15 comments:

  1. that's not so ANONYMOUS. We know who you are and we know where you're guitars live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record here are the scores thus far:

    Rocket in Super 8: 3
    Pilot in the Ocean: 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, Tim's vote doesn't count. -1 for Pilot in the Ocean. ;)

      Delete
  3. Make that 2 for Seals & Crofts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that's the best name idea yet, unfortunately, it's already taken. Guess we'll have to go with Rocket in Super 8.

      Delete
  4. anything but Pilots in the Ocean

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, actually it's just Pilot in the Ocean and certainly NOT just anything. I've heard some of the names that have been thrown around and Pilot in the Ocean is definitely better than most. I don't like it for this project but I DO like it. But now that I think about it Seals and Crofts is kinda growin' on me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rocket in Super 8 makes me think of hookers in a cheap motel. Pilots in the Ocean doesn't fit right either. I tried to combine the 2 and came up with Vacuity Reef. Vacuity for the vast emptiness of the Ocean and Reef a synonym for Rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hookers in a cheap motel is TOTALLY a rock band appropriate image as far as I'm concerned.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I didn't think that was the image you were going for. lol

      Delete
    2. Not necessarily but I'm not gonna rule it out. I'm very open minded. ;)

      Delete