18 August, 2010

Airstream 13

If you've seen me play live, especially solo, you know that I'm not big on telling stories of what my songs are about. In fact, you're lucky if I tell you what a song is called. Often, someone will ask the meaning behind a song and usually my wife, who is almost always in the audience will yell out that the song is about a girl. Half of the time she's right. Okay, three-quarters of the time. So, in that spirit, I sat down to write a song about a guy living in an Airstream with ten girls. You see I thought it would be funny if I wrote a song about not just one girl, but many. The list of names ended up being thirteen instead of ten which works out because it flows better that way and 13 is my lucky number after all. Plus, I'm kind of obsessed with Airstreams right now. I want one in the worst way. They are so cool. I wrote this song with The Woeful Ones in mind & having been listening to ridiculous amounts of Drive-By Truckers so it's a little bit of a different sound for me but I'm really happy with the way it has turned out. We actually just went to Pro Star recording studio in St. Petersburg & recorded it as well as two other songs, Mike Worrall's "Daddy Makes His Living on the Road" & Steve Vaclavik's "This Road". I hope to put Airstream on my website very soon.

Okay, without further ado, here's the lyrics.

Airstream 13

Jessica’s cooking my evening meal
But she doesn’t really know me or how I feel
But Britney knows how to make me feel much better
While Ashley writes my resignation letter
I’m not an easy man, I’m rarely satisfied
& I got these stars stuck in my eyes
While Nicole keeps my head a-floatin’ all around
Sarah tries to keep my feet on the ground
If my clothes don’t fit I don’t need no tailor
I got 13 girls in my Airstream trailer

Melissa’s always lettin’ me sleep in
But Heather wakes me up when I’m late again
My boss man’s pissed I missed another day
So Kim took him out with her samurai blade
I don’t need no job, I’m a guitar player
I got 13 girls in my Airstream trailer

If my head would stop pounding for a minute of peace
If there was room in my bed so I could get some sleep
I think that I could be a better man
If I could just say no to any one of them

Emma’s screaming, I left my clothes on the floor
& April, May & June don’t like the temperature
So we fight over the thermostat all day long
They never give me time to write a single damn song
I’m a laughing stock, I never leave this rig
& My band’ll fire me if miss another gig
The people in town think I should go to Hell
If that’d be worse or better I just can’t tell
I don’t go out in the sun so I keep getting paler
I got 13 girls in my Airstream trailer

I know my Momma thinks I’m just one big failure
But there’s 13 girls in my Airstream trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment